Carcosa Seri Negara, Kuala Lumpur

In 1896, Sir Frank Swettenham, the first resident-general of colonial Malaya, began constructing his official residence above the lake gardens. It was named 'Carcosa', a stylisation of the Italian word for 'dear place'.

In 1904, Sir Frank moved to the completed Carcosa, at the same time finishing a building called 'King's House' on an adjacent hillside. The King's House, today called the 'Seri Negara' (which means 'beautiful country'), was used to house the Governor of the Straits Settlements as well as other illustrious guests of the Malay Federation.

From 1904 until 1941, the Carcosa was the official residence of the highest British representatives to the Malay States. Today, it is one of the leading hotels in Kuala Lumpur with its manicured lawns and luxurious setting, truly here to stay for generations to come.